- 1884-c 1982 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Wheldrake Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Main Street in 1863, although a 'chapel' (possibly a hired room on North Lane) was mentioned as early as 1823. The new chapel cost £340 and could accommodate 182 people. A schoolroom was added in 1894.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Wheldrake joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was sold in 1970.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material