- 1835-1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A wooden mission chapel was erected by the Primitive Methodists in Albany Street, off Leeman Road, in 1884, but it was not until 1900 that a permanent chapel was built on an adjacent site.
Part of the new Victoria Bar Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, formed in 1883, the new Albany Street Chapel could accommodate 250 people and included classrooms and schoolrooms that could be used as part of the chapel when needed.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, the Victoria Bar Circuit amalgamated with the city's Wesley Circuit and Albany Street Chapel became part of a new and enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was destroyed during the enemy bombing of York in 1942 and the congregation moved into first St Barnabas' Parish Room, and then into a temporary wooden building until the new Albany Chapel was completed in 1954. The new chapel was situated on Salisbury Road.
The chapel was closed in 1972.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Dringhouses Methodist Church, York (Subject)