- c 1901-1931 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The chapel on Haughton Road, off Burton Stone Lane, York, began life as a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Haughton Road in 1901. The chapel, which could accommodate up to 200 people, comprised one large chapel room and two classrooms and was build at a cost of £1,100.
It was initially part of the York First Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, renamed the Monkgate Circuit in 1903. Following the unification of the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist churches in 1932, it remained in use, becoming part of the new Monkgate Circuit of the Methodist Church of Great Britain from 1934. The chapel was still in active use in 1955.
In 1957 the Monkgate and Clifton Circuits amalgamated to form the new Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit). This became York, North Circuit, from 1981, although Burton Stone Lane Chapel would appear to have closed by this date.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material