- 1864-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Avenue Terrace, Clifton, in 1884. Designed by Edward Taylor of York, it could seat 170 people. Prior to this date the local Methodist congregation had met for worship is a nearby cottage.
The chapel was replaced with a new and larger building in 1909, again designed by Edward Taylor, to accommodate the growing congregation. The new Clifton Methodist Chapel was built on the site of Clifton Cottage and could seat 850, although the Avenue Terrace building was retained for use a Sunday School until 1915, when it was used for a soldiers' home and then later as a residential house.
The chapel Trustees purchased additional land in Clifton in 1915 but it was until 1929 that the chapel was extended and a new school room built. The chapel was extended again in 1958 by the addition of a modern kitchen and new toilet facilities and the organ was renovated in 1961. In 1989 more extensive remodelling took place, an upstairs hall was added, the pews were replaced by chairs, two additional halls were sold and land for a car park was purchased from St Peter's School.
The chapel has hosted a number of groups and events over its history, including an annual Christmas Fayre from the 1920s onwards, a Sunday School, Youth Club, Church Choir and Women's Group.
Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, this was renamed the York, Clifton Circuit in 1909. The Circuit continued after the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932 as a Circuit of the new single Methodist Connexion of Great Britain.
In 1957 it became part of the merged Clifton & Monkgate Circuit and in 1972 this became York, North Circuit. In 2012 it became part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
As of 2016 it remains in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms, 1902-1965; register of marriages, 1907-1972, 1982-1983.
Records of Trustees, comprising meetings minute books for Avenue Terrace Chapel, 1883-1927, and Clifton Chapel, 1904-1940; Leaders’ meeting minute books, 1902-1925, 1943-1966; register of members, 1951; and pulpit notices book, 1954-1956.
Financial records, including Society Steward’s account book, 1924-1936; collection journals, 1941-1957; and Poor Fund account book, 1905-1910.
Property records, comprising Building Committee minute book, 1907-1908, plans of the Clifton Cottage site, 1903, 1907, and specifications, bills of quantity and plans for Clifton Chapel and schoolroom by Edward Taylor, 1907-1910.
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Sunday School records, including Teachers’ Council minute book, 1923-1934, treasurer’s account book, 1940-1968, class book, 1932-1935, and plans of proposed additions to school, 1903; Wesley Guild minute book, 1901-1940; Womens Fellowship Committee minutes, 1990-2001; Young Disciples roll, 1928-1960; Boys’ Club minute book, 1940-1941; Youth Club records, including minute book, 1966, and membership register, n.d; and choir attendance register, with choristers’ addressed, 1950-1962, Monday Fellowship records, 1989-2011.
Records of the Wesleyan Mission Room, including collections accounts, 1864-1876, and receipts and vouchers, 1870-1879.
Historical material, comprising opening services souvenir handbook, 1909; programme of service of thanksgiving and re-dedication following the rebuilding of the organ and decoration of the chapel, 1961; printed history of Clifton Methodist Church 1909-2009 by Richard Parker, 2009.
Unlisted material, c.1975-2014
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material