- 1902-1908 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Central Mission, York, was created as an independent, non-sectarian mission by two members of York, Centenary Chapel, then part of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion.
Its precise origin date is unclear but it was certainly active by 1892 when its members organised a Christmas dinner for 1000 poor children of York. The organising committee included Sir Joseph Terry of the confectionery manufacturer Terry's of York.
After 1904 the Mission was based at Layerthorpe Methodist Mission, before moving to the Festival Concert Rooms in Museum Street and then, after 1908, to the New Street Methodist Chapel. Between 1910 and 1919 the Mission occupied a new building, the City of York Central Mission Hall in Swinegate.
In 1919 the Mission was amalgamated with Monk Bar United Methodist Chapel and relocated to the chapel building, which was subsequently known as Monk Bar Central Mission.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, the Monk Bar chapel was closed and the building sold to the Pentecostalists. The Central Mission subsequently united with York City Mission.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material