- 1895-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist chapel was built at Dringhouses in 1834 on the corner of Slingsby Road and Tadcaster Road. It remained in use until 1890 when the larger Dringhouses Chapel was built on the same site.
The chapel was part of single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion until 1867 when it was transferred to the new York, Wesley Circuit. The Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches reunited in 1932 and in 1935 Dringhouses Chapel became part of the new enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was closed in 1954 and the congregation transferred to the new West Thorpe Chapel on West Thorpe Road.
Name of creator
West Thorpe Chapel opened on 17 July 1954, replacing Dringhouses Chapel which closed the same year and was subsequently sold. A new room was added in 1985 to accommodate the chapel Sunday School.
West Thorpe Chapel was part of the York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion until 1981 when the Circuit joined with York, Centenary to form York, South Circuit. Since 2012 it has been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Baptism books, 1954-1968; records of Trustees, including meeting minute books, 1928-1976, Property Committee minutes, 1975-1988, and Trust financial records, 1954-1994; Leaders Meeting and Church Society meeting minute books, 1953-1979; financial records, including West Thorpe Methodist Church Society account books, 1959-1982, book listing amounts given in envelopes, 1955-1970, and collections journals, 1963-1995, general and property accounts, 1981-1994, accounts for organ fund donations, 1963-1970, and correspondence and financial statements concerning bequests for Methodist Church purposes, 1999-2002; property and church fabric papers, 1895-1990, including papers relating to the sale of the old chapel, 1954, and the building of the new chapel, 1951-1954; community roll, 1970, 1981, 1984-1985; pulpit notices, 1977-1978, 1981-1982; printed pamphlets, 1955-2004; service sheet for the opening of West Thorpe church, 1954; newspaper cuttings, 1959, ; and photographs, [1950s]-1984.
Sunday School records, including committee and local youth council meeting minute books, 1953-1976, 1984-1986; Sunday School collections, 1961-1964; quarterly summary and journal, 1955-1969; admission registers and records, 1954-1984; registers for primary and beginner students, 1962-1971, juniors, 1962-1969, and seniors, 1962-1975; teachers’ rolls, 1955-1976.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material