- 1855-1901 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Ebenezer Chapel opened at 3 Little Stonegate, York, in 1851, replacing the Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, which was sold. It was designed by local architect J. B. Pritchett and could accommodate around 1000 people.
It was the principal chapel within the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883 when the Circuit split into two and it became the principal chapel of the First Circuit, renamed the Monkgate Circuit after 1903.
By the late nineteenth century the congregation had begun to outgrow the building. The chapel was consequently sold in 1901 to a local printing firm and a new Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened in Monkgate in 1903.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material