fonds MR/Y/GL - Society records of the Methodist Church, York, Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel

Identity area

Reference code

MR/Y/GL

Title

Society records of the Methodist Church, York, Grape Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel

Date(s)

  • 1829-1852 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.01 cubic metres

1 box

Context area

Name of creator

(1820-1851)

Administrative history

The Chapel in Grape Lane, York, was originally built in 1781 for the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, a small society of evangelical churches founded by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon.

It was sold to the Methodist New Connexion in 1798 and was a Wesleyan Chapel for a short time before it was rented by the Primitive Methodists in 1820. A Sunday School was established there the following year.

The chapel was purchased outright by the Primitive Methodist Church in 1829 and in 1834 it was said to accommodate 684 people. It was part of the single York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion.

The chapel was closed in 1851 when the congregation transferred to the new Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel in Little Stonegate. The chapel was later converted to commercial use.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in the 1980s.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of Trustees', comprising meeting minute book, 1845-1851, and treasurer's account book, 1829-1852.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Circuit records for the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute as part of the Records of the Methodist Church, York (Monkgate) Circuit. The Borthwick also holds the records of the chapel's successor: Ebenezer Chapel on Little Stonegate, York.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 15.11.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area