- 1867-1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
Name of creator
Groves Chapel was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built at the junction of Clarence Street and Wigginton Road, York, in 1883. Designed by W. J. Morley of Bradford, it could accommodate 800 people. An organ was installed in 1888 and classrooms were added in 1894. A rear extension was added in the 1950s. .
It replaced the Brook Street School-Chapel (sometimes known as Groves School Chapel) which dated from 1868, although it continued to be used as a school until 1890.
Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit (later renamed the Clifton Circuit) of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, it continued as part of the York, Clifton Circuit of what became a single Methodist Connexion after 1932. In 1957 it became part of Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit).
In 1973 the congregations of Monkgate and Groves Chapel, York, joined together to form the new Trinity Methodist Church. The new church was based at the chapel on Monkgate and Groves Chapel was sold to York Health Authority. It was sold again in 2014 to a property developer.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Groves School Chapel, including register of baptisms, 1870-1889; records of Trustees’, including treasurer’s account book, 1868-1923, and school Trustees’ meeting minute book, 1920-1938; financial records, including subscription lists and chapel accounts, 1867-1873, and rental book, 1867-1871.
Records of Groves Wesleyan Chapel (Cotford Place, Clarence Street), including register of baptisms, 1889-1922; register of marriages, 1886-1972; Trustees’ meeting minute books, 1883-1938, 1942-1954; Leaders’ Meetings and Annual Society Meetings minute books, 1952-1971; financial records, including Society Steward’s account book, 1933-1957, account book, 1969-1976, pew rents ledgers and accounts, 1884-1929, collections journal, 1903-1908, 1923-1962, and other papers, 1938-1943; records of the Poor Fund, including account book, 1910-1946, and correspondence, 1881; records of the Bazaar Committee, including meeting minute book, 1924-1958, and correspondence and papers, 1929-1958.
Sunday School records, 1878-1986, including Council minute books, 1888-1986; Officers’ minute books, 1878-1922; financial papers, 1931-1972; rules, 1888; reports, 1901-1921, 1924-1953; class attendance registers, 1957-1958, 1965-1972; individual reports on classes, 1924-1944; scripture examination results’ sheets, 1964-1969; papers relating to annual trips, 1952, 1966-1968; Sunday School anniversary service programmes, 1933-1940, 1943, 1944; and Youth and Sunday School festival programmes, 1945-1952.
Summary annual account book for the Groves Chapel Trust and Brook Street School and Houses Trust, 1886-1971.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material