- 1905-2012 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built at Heworth in 1826. It remained in use until 1889 when it was demolished and replaced by a new and larger chapel and schoolroom on the adjacent site of Heworth House. The new chapel, which opened in 1890, was largely funded by the gift of Hannah Crampton Leak in memory of her late husband, William, a prominent York Methodist.
The building was designed by Edward Taylor in gothic style and could seat 220 people. A Sunday School was set up by William Camidge soon after the new chapel opened and a new schoolroom was later added in 1930 to accommodate a growing congregation as Heworth underwent a period of significant expansion. By the 1930s the Chapel also had a choir, a Wesley Guild and a Women's Meeting.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Heworth joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867. In 1888 it became part of the new York, Centenary Circuit. It continued as part of York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 Heworth Chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Trustees, including meetings minute book, 1907-1971, account book, 1908-1976, letter requesting to be discharged as a Trustee, 1906, and related accounts, reports and schedules, 1940-1969; Society and Leaders’ meetings minute books, 1919-1967; general church meeting minutes, 1975-1983; church register, 1932-1947; pulpit notice books, 1952-1958; papers relating to chapel services, 1984-1989; papers relating to the chapel’s centenary year, including planning meeting minutes, programme, correspondence, news-sheets and photographs, 1989-1990; church newsletters, 1978-2012; and Circuit papers, 1965-1978.
Financial records, including Society Steward’s account book, 1937-1977, Finance Committee papers, 1975-1977, statements of annual accounts, 1967-1977, collections journals, 1911-1963, Envelope System cash books, 1932-1949, contributions record book, 1961-1973, correspondence concerning bequests, 1966-1968, and vouchers, cheque book stubs and bank statements, 1918-1967; General Fund and Benevolence Fund accounts and correspondence, 1960-1978; and Poor Steward’s account book and related papers, 1905-1986.
Property and fabric papers, including Development Fund Committee minutes, 1968-1978, and accounts book, 1968-1980; minutes, papers and correspondence concerning the Church Extension Fund and the opening of the new Sunday School, 1958-1971, plan of proposals for alterations to the church, 1967, and papers relating to the organ fund, 1952-1968.
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Heworth Wesley Guild minute book, 1924-1961; Sunday School records, including teachers’ meetings minute book, 1924-1953, papers concerning the school extension fund, 1931-1933, and order of service for stone laying ceremony for new Sunday School premises, 1967; Heworth Chapel Choir Committee minute book, 1938-1970; Women’s Group Committee minutes, 1937-1958; Youth Club Committee minutes, 1964-1977.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material