- 1907-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
Holgate Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened in 1910, replacing a Mission chapel which had been built on Wilton Street in 1873. The building, originally part of the York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, was designed by T. Monkman of Monkman & Hornsey as a school chapel and consisted of a main assembly hall and eighteen separate classrooms.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, the Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits merged and Holgate continued as part of an enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
Plans to build a full Methodist church on adjacent land were never realised and the school chapel has remained the principle Methodist church in Holgate. The building was renovated in 1999.
As of 2016 it is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Trustees', including meeting minute books, 1907-1977, and treasurers' accounts, 1937-1960; records of Church Council, including meeting minutes, 1975-1990, 1992-2010, and copies of agreements with associated correspondence, 1995-1996; Leaders' Meetings minute books, 1929-1972; correspondence and papers relating to Holgate Methodist Church Family Committee, 1971-1975; Society Stewards' accounts, 1944-1963; church insurance, 1966; Holgate Methodist Church report, 1990; fabric papers, including copies of church floor plans, 2001, and papers concerning alterations to toilets and heating system c.2000-2005; The Holgate Methodist Messenger newsletter, 1974-1993; records of social and recreational events, including programme for Holgate Young People's dramatic and musical concert in aid of Sunday School funds, 1947, papers relating to celebrations for Elizabeth II, c.1953, Golden Jubilee brochure, 1960, papers and brochures relating to the Church's 75th (1985) and 95th (2005) anniversaries, and other papers; newspaper cuttings c.1950-c.1986; Centenary CD and leaflet, 2010; 'Holgate Methodist Church: A History 1910-2010' by Adelaide Morley, 2010; photographs, n.d.
Records of Holgate Chapel Sunday School, including proposal and plans for new Sunday Schools, 1909; papers concerning the building of the schools, 1907-1909; papers concerning the stone-laying ceremony, opening of the schools, and clearance of the building debt, 1909-1918; treasurers' accounts, 1911-1949, papers concerning Sunday School plays, 1940s, and Sunday School outings, c.1943, c.1948.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material