- 1878-1977 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
A United Methodist Free Church chapel opened in James Street, York, in 1871, in a building provided by William Pumphrey. It was the second such chapel in the city, the first, Monk Bar Chapel, having opened in 1859 at the junction of Aldwark and Goodramgate.
The United Methodist Free Church in York had been formed in 1856 through the amalgamation of the Wesleyan Association and the Wesleyan Reformers. Its two chapels were initially part of a single York United Methodist Free Church Circuit, headed by the Monk Bar Chapel, but in 1907 this split into two, with a second Circuit being formed from the Trinity New Connexion Chapel.
The James Street Chapel remained part of the first Circuit until 1911 when the two were re-joined to form a single united Monk Bar Circuit, headed first by Monk Bar Chapel and then, after 1914, by Trinity Chapel.
In 1933, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches, the chapel became part of the new York, Monkgate Circuit of the unified Methodist Connexion. In 1957 this amalgamated with York, Clifton Circuit to form the new York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit).
The chapel was closed in 1969.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material