fonds MR/Y/LG - Society records of the Methodist Church, York, Lidgett Grove Chapel

Identity area

Reference code

MR/Y/LG

Title

Society records of the Methodist Church, York, Lidgett Grove Chapel

Date(s)

  • 1935-1983 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.05 cubic metres

3 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1934-)

Administrative history

A temporary chapel was opened in 1934 on a site adjacent to Beckfield Lane and Lidgett Grove in Acomb, gifted by local Methodist Sir Robert Newbald Kay. The permanent chapel was completed by 1937 and was designed to accommodate 550 people. A new church hall was opened in 1967.

It is claimed that the pulpit in the chapel is that used by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, when he visited the Anglican church of York, St Mary, Castlegate.

Lidgett Grove was initially part of the York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion. However in 1935, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches, the Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits merged and Lidgett Grove continued as part of an enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.

As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion. It is intended that the chapel should be known as Lidgett Methodist Church in the future.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute prior to 2013. A further addition was made to the archive in 2013.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of Trustees, including meeting minute books, 1954-1976, and treasurers’ account book, 1945-1965; Society and Leaders’ meeting minute books, 1935-1977; Policy and Finance Committee minute book, 1963-1977; papers concerning the new church hall, including Building Committee minute book, 1965-1968, correspondence, 1964-1969, and commemoration brochure for opening of the hall and re-dedication of the church, 1967; correspondence concerning chapel organ, 1972-1975; papers concerning the repair fund, including report, specification and plans, 1973-1974, and accounts, bills and receipts, 1974-1978; membership roll, 1947-1950, with gift day and chapel anniversary donations, 1970; Ethel Suffield Trust distribution account, 1975; Sunday School Council minute book, 1935-1973; Women’s Fellowship minute book, 1940-1967; analysis of circuit church life questionnaire for Lidgett Grove Chapel, 1983; service sheet and letters of congratulation on Golden Jubilee, 1983; photograph of ministers and Trustees, c.1935.

Unlisted material.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received prior to 2013. Later material has not yet been listed, please contact the Institute for more information.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Circuit records for the York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, and the York, Wesley and York, South Circuit of the Methodist Connexion are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute. The records of both York, Wesley Circuits form a single archive (MRC/2).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 23.11.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area