- 1822-1963 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.03 cubic metres
Name of creator
Layerthorpe Methodist Chapel was created as a Primitive Methodist mission chapel situated in Duke of York Street, York, giving the chapel its alternate name of the Duke of York Street Mission. In 1877 two houses with a large yard had been purchased in this street and the chapel was built in the yard and opened the following year. It could accommodate 190 people and was also used as a Sunday School.
By 1900 the chapel had a membership of 68. It was initially part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883 when the Circuit was split into two and Layerthorpe joined the new First Circuit, renamed York, Monkgate Circuit in 1903.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Layerthorpe Chapel became part of the new York, Monkgate Circuit of the unified Methodist Connexion and joined the York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit in 1957.
Layerthorpe Chapel was demolished in the early 1960s to create a new commercial area.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material