- 1857-1935 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
York, Monk Bar Chapel opened in 1859. Built on the junction of Aldwark and Goodramgate, it replaced the rented room in St Saviourgate previously used by the congregation, and was the head of the only York United Methodist Free Church Circuit.
The chapel could accommodate 800 people and included a schoolroom, three additional classrooms, a caretaker's house and a tearoom.
In 1907 a second United Methodist Circuit was formed from Trinity New Connexion Chapel. Although these were amalgamated in 1911 under Monk Bar chapel, in 1914 this was reversed and Monk Bar entered into a period of decline.
Plans to sell the building were averted in 1919 when it joined with York Central Mission and became known as Monk Bar Central Mission. However in 1934 it was closed permanently and the building was sold soon after.
As of 2016 the chapel building still stands on Goodramgate and is used as a commercial premises.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material