- 1885-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.19 cubic metres
Name of creator
York, Monkgate Primitive Methodist Chapel opened in 1903. It replaced Ebenezer Chapel on Little Stonegate, which had been the principal Primitive Methodist chapel in the city, but by the 1880s had become inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation. Its trustees agreed to buy property in Monkgate for a new chapel, but building work was delayed until the debt owed for Ebenezer Chapel was paid off and the old chapel sold.
The site of the new chapel was chosen, in part, for its proximity to Elmfield College, a Primitive Methodist college on the outskirts of Heworth, and later became known as John Petty Memorial Chapel in memory of the college's first governor. Designed by Frederick Whittaker Dixon of Manchester, it could accommodate 775 people and included school rooms at the rear of the building, comprised of a lecture room, infants' room and assembly hall.
Originally part of the York First (Monkgate) Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, following the unification of the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodists in 1932 the chapel became part of the York, Monkgate Circuit of a now unified Methodist Connexion. In 1957 it joined the York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit).
The chapel closed in 1973.
Name of creator
In 1973 Groves Chapel and Monkgate Chapel, York, joined together to form the new Trinity Methodist Church. The new church was based at the Monkgate chapel, which was renamed Trinity Chapel.
Trinity Church was part of York, North Circuit of the Methodist Connexion until 2012 when it joined the single York Circuit.
As of 2016 it remains in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of York Monkgate Methodist Chapel, comprising records of Trustees’, including minute books, 1896-1970, account book, 1885-1915, 1937-1946, 1949-1973, resignation forms and related papers, n.d.; Leaders’ minute book, 1912-1971; church account book, 1938-1971; property records, including accounts and receipts for property in Monkgate, 1885-1886, 1903-1912; fabric papers, including correspondence and accounts relating to war damage, 1941-1950, letter and estimate for redecoration, 1919; Sunday School records, including minute book of school council, 1947-1959, minute book of teachers’ meetings, 1929-1947, account book, 1957-1971, summary book on attendance and number of scholars and teachers, 1939-1952, 1959-1963, registers of attendance, 1958-1965, 1969-1971, and graph showing average attendance, 1959-1966; Monkgate Women's Bright Hour minute book, 1940-1985 (Women's Fellowship from 1946); Jubilee celebration handbook, 1903-1953; bazaar booklets, 1903, 1933; and list of ministers at Monkgate, 1903-1989.
Records of Trinity Methodist Church, comprising minutes of Trustees’ meetings, 1970-1976; minutes of Trinity Church Council meetings, 1971-2010; minutes of general church meetings, 1973-2001; financial records, including Trinity Society account book, 1971-1976, Trinity Church accounts, 1973-2007, weekly collection sheets and summaries, 1988-2006, papers relating to the Sailing in Faith Fund, 1995-2003, and Trinity Choir accounts, 1972-1978, 1980-1999; property records, including property committee minutes, 1976-1981, correspondence, 1988-2001, and papers relating to sale of rear premises, c.1999-2004; fabric papers, including plans and correspondence concerning proposed alteration works, 1999-2000; Sunday School records, including income and expenditure book, 1972-1990, and yearly assessment account book, 1972-1990.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material