- 1874-2015 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator
Melbourne Terrace Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was completed and opened in 1877. It replaced a small school chapel on Cemetery Road which had been used by the Wesleyan Methodists since 1872, and which had formerly been used by the Methodist New Connexion congregation before their move to Trinity Chapel.
The new chapel, designed by Edward Taylor of York, was designed to accommodate a growing local population. It could seat 850 people and included a new schoolroom and four additional classrooms. An organ was installed in 1880, a new Sunday School was added in 1881, and an adjoining lecture hall and Men's Institute were built in 1904.
The building was requisitioned by the army during the Second World War. It was closed in 1961 and the schoolroom was adapted to serve as a new chapel, remaining in use until 1986 when it was demolished and replaced by the present Melbourne Terrace Methodist Church.
Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion (later renamed Clifton Circuit), it joined the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932 Melbourne Terrace continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms, 1876-1885, 1917-1969.
Records of Trustees, including meeting minute books, 1876-1915, 1924-1960, treasurer’s annual accounts, 1875-1942, and cash book, 1931-1975; Society and Leaders’ meetings minute books, 1891-1903, 1915-1989; minute book of the Church Family Committee, 1975-1986; and Bazaar Committee minute books, 1914-1941.
Financial records, including Society Steward’s cash book, 1952-1975; general church fund accounts, 1959-1967; pew rents account books, 1877-1909; and other financial papers, 1877-1953.
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Sunday School Council minute books, 1907-1967, and programme and photographs of reunion, 1910; Wesley Guild minute book, 1924-1951; Women’s Pleasant Hour minute book, 1925-1984; Young Wives’ Group account book, 1955-1971, and attendance register, 1956-1975; and Wesleyan Mission Band printed plan, 1888-1889.
Historical material, including documents placed in foundation stones, 1875, 1986; letter from son of former minister enclosing subscription list for foundation of chapel, 1926; anniversary brochures, 1877-1977; order of service for opening and dedication of new church, 1986; order of service for centenary celebrations, 1977; and other historical notes and memoranda, including press cuttings and photographs, 19th-20th century.
Records of the Boy’s Brigade, comprising papers of the 1st City of York Company, Boy’s Brigade, including cash books, staff meeting minutes, company handbook, papers relating to the Boy’s Brigade centenary and Royal Address from Company, 1960s-1989; papers of the 2nd City of York Company, Boy’s Brigade, including attendance roll book, register, squad roll book and documentation for appointment of officers, 1928-1947; and papers relating to the Boy’s Brigade National Council held at the University of York, 1981.
Unlisted material, c.1912-2015.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material