- 1892 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Nunnery Lane Mission was a Primitive Methodist mission house and Sunday School built on a site near to St Thomas' Hospital on Nunnery Lane in 1865. It consisted of a large room for preaching and two classrooms and replaced an early rented property on Nunnery Lane used for missionary activities.
Following the building of the Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1880 the Mission was used as a Sunday School and meeting hall. In 1895 the building was briefly leased as a temporary primary school, the Nunnery Lane School, before the Scarcroft Road Board School opened the following year.
The Mission chapel was part of the single York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883, when the Circuit was divided into two and it became part of the new York, Victoria Bar Circuit.
The chapel was demolished in the twentieth century.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material