- 1826-1987 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first St George's Chapel was built at the end of Chapel Row in 1826. It was intended to serve the population around Walmgate Bar and could accommodate 500 people.
However the congregation began to decline following the opening of the larger Centenary Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Between 1843 and 1847 St George's was used as a Sunday School and mission room and from 1847 the chapel was used as a Day School, although it was still managed by the Methodist Society. St George's School closed in 1895 and the chapel was subsequently sold to a Roman Catholic school.
The money raised by the sale of the building was used to build a new St George's Chapel in Nicholas Street, outside Walmgate Bar. The small chapel, which could seat 250, opened in 1901 and closed in 1937.
The present St George's Chapel was built in 1937 in Millfield Lane on the new and growing Tang Hall estate. It could accommodate 270 worshippers and 200 children in its four Sunday School classrooms. It also launched a Holiday Club scheme in the 1960s, which provided activities for local school children during the summer holidays.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, St George's joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of St George’s Chapel, Chapel Row (George Street, Walmgate), comprising Trustees’ meeting minutes, 1826, 1834-1837; and Society Steward’s account book, 1826-1858.
Records of St George’s School, comprising Trustees’ meeting minute book, 1880-1932, and accounts, 1899-1969; Building Committee treasurer’s account book, 1856-1860; cash book, 1881-1888; school correspondence files, 1856-1897; file of correspondence relating to proprosed new chapel, 1898-1899; and centenary souvenir brochure, 1926.
Records of St George’s Chapel, Millfield Lane (Tang Hall), comprising Trustees’ meeting minutes, 1966-1978; Trustees’ meeting minutes concerning day school, 1932-1937; Leaders’ meeting minute book, 1911-1967; annual society meeting minutes, 1934-1953, 1955-1967; stewardship review papers, 1969-1974; pulpit notices, 1963-1966; financial records, including Finance Committee minute book, 1965-1985, Society Steward’s account books, 1942-1977, Society account book, 1958-1971, Envelope Offering account books, 1959-1983, and collection journals, 1934-1944, 1968-1975; papers and photographs concerning church extensions, 1953-1964; records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Wesley Guild minute book, 1945-1962; Sunday School records, 1916-1987, Women’s Meeting (later Fellowship) registers of membership and attendance, 1945-1950, 1953-1976, Holiday Club records, including committee minutes, registers, publicity material and photographs, 1969-1981, and choir records, including committee minutes and papers, correspondence and receipts, 1922-1943; historical material, including programme and photograph for opening of new chapel, 1936-1937, programmes for anniversary celebrations, 1937-1987, notes on chapel history, 1826-1987, and ‘Memories of the Church 1937-1942’ by Herbert Bee, n.d.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material