- 1808-1978 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
York, Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel opened in 1880 as a replacement for the Nunnery Lane Mission Room, which subsequently became a Sunday School and meeting hall. It was built on the corner of Victor Street and Newton Terrace, inside the recently made Victoria Bar, and was designed by architect William Peachey. The building could accommodate 900 people and included lecture rooms and classrooms, as well as a chapel room and minister's vestry.
Initially part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, in 1883 the Circuit was divided into two and Victoria Bar Chapel became head of the newly created Second York Circuit, known as the Victoria Bar Circuit.
The chapel remained in use until the 1930s. It was closed following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932 and sold in 1940. The building was later converted to flats.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material