- 1846-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.44 cubic metres
Name of creator
Wesley Chapel opened on Priory Street in 1856. Day schools, Sunday schools and a preachers' house were added the following year. Designed by James Simpson of Leeds, the chapel could accommodate 1,500 people and replaced the chapel in Albion Street as the only Nonconformist place of worship in the rapidly developing area around the railway station and workshops.
A new organ was installed in 1892 and the chapel and schools were enlarged in 1907, 1910 and 1914. In 1867 members of the chapel began mission work in Skeldergate, leading to the creation of the Skeldergate Mission Hall in 1900.
The chapel was part of the York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion until 1867 when it became the head of its own circuit covering the area of the city to the west of the River Ouse, known as the York, Wesley Circuit. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932 it became part of a new Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion, which now included the former Victoria Bar Circuit. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
The chapel was closed in 1982 and its congregation transferred to the Centenery Chapel in St Saviourgate, now called Central Chapel.
Name of creator
York, Albion Street Methodist Chapel was opened in 1816. Situated at the corner of Albion Street and Skeldergate, it could accommodate 700 people. A Sunday School opened there the following year.
By the mid nineteenth century the building was deemed too small for the rapidly growing population south of the river Ouse and around the railway station and workshops. A new and larger chapel opened in 1856 on Priory Street, eventually superseding the Albion Street chapel, which was sold by 1861.
The chapel was part of what was then a single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion from its foundation to its closure.
The chapel building was used as commercial premises and later demolished in the twentieth century.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms for Albion Street Chapel, 1848-1856; register of baptisms for Wesley Chapel, 1856-1982; register of marriages, 1859-1983.
Records of Trustees, including meetings minute book, 1856-1871, 1906-1976, bank book, 1854-1860, treasurer’s account book, 1856-1947, 1949-1973, secretary’s correspondence, 1959-1972, and papers concerning appointments of new Trustees, 1881-1963; Leaders’ meetings minute book, 1856-1880, 1912-1953, 1959-1981, and related correspondence, 1974-1979; Chapel Committee minute book, 1947-1962; Society Steward’s account books for Albion Street Chapel, 1849-1856, Wesley Chapel, 1856-1926, 1932-1940, and receipts and vouchers, 1856-1944; Wesley Chapel Trust accounts and annual reports, 1959-1971; pulpit notices, 1945-1946; service sheets, 1856-1983.
Financial records, including collections journals and accounts, 1856-1877, 1922-1976, pew rents book, 1867-1880, 1923-1977, envelope offering account books, 1964-1980, vestry cash books, 1947-1953, cash books of Methodist Church Council, 1973-1982, income and expenditure analysis book, 1960-1969.
Property and fabric records, including Building Committee minutes, 1848-1856, papers concerning use of chapel buildings, 1855-1980, and sale of land to York, Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate, 1895-1910, conveyance of chapel to York Assembly of God and of the Sport and Community Centre to York City Council, 1983;
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising records of Priory Street Day School, including deeds, minutes, financial records, and fabric papers, 1855-1982; records of chapel Sunday School, including minutes, admission register, and attendance registers, 1846-1958; Priory Street Young Men’s Class records, including reports, press cuttings, newsletters, and souvenir publication ' Our Class History and Work,' 1862-1908; records of Workers’ Band (Wesley Brotherhood), including minutes and papers relating to group outings, 1907-1978; Young Disciples’ Roll, 1954-1958; Literary Committee minute book, 1899-1908; chapel choir records, 1961-1979; copies of ‘Notes and News’, the journal of the York Old Priory Choir, 1924-1989; records of Detached Youth Project, York, including annual reports, 1975-1978, letters, 1977-1978, and prayer letter, 1978; Brunswick Terrace Hostel annual report, c.1976.
Records of Forces Canteen on Priory Street, including committee minutes, 1940-1945, and visitors’ book, 1942-1945.
Historical material, including press cuttings and programmes relating to foundation of chapel, 1855-1856; anniversary souvenir book, 1856-1936; photographs of chapel, ministers and unidentified soldiers, 19th-20th century; printing blocks for chapels including Wesley Chapel, Peasholme Green Chapel and Lady Huntingdon’s Chapel, n.d.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
- Religion » Religions » Methodism » Wesleyan Methodism
- Religion » Religions » Methodism
- Religion » Religious institutions » Sunday schools
- Organisations » Associations » Youth organisations
- Historical events » Wars (events) » Second World War (1939-1945)
- Educational institutions » Schools » Day schools
- Performing arts » Music » Musical groups
Place access points
Name access points
- Forces Canteen, Priory Street, York (Subject)