- 1888-1981 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.2 cubic metres
Name of creator
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, York, Centenary Circuit continued as a circuit of the new single Methodist Connexion of Great Britain.
After 1932 the Circuit included Centenary Chapel, Melbourne Terrace Chapel, and St George's Chapel in York, as well as chapels at Deighton, Dunnington, Gate Helmsley, Heslington, Heworth, Fulford, Murton, Stamford Bridge, Stillingfleet and Warthill. From 1957 it was part of the York and Hull District of the Methodist Church.
In 1981 the Circuit amalgamated with York, Wesley Circuit to form York, South Circuit.
Name of creator
The York, Centenary Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion was formed out of the York (New Street) Circuit in 1888.
At its creation, it included Centenary Chapel, Melbourne Terrace Chapel, St George's School and the Layerthorpe Wesleyan Mission Hall in York, in addition to chapels at Deighton, Dunnington, Heslington, Heworth, Fulford, Gate Helmsley, Murton, Naburn, Osbaldwick, Stamford Bridge, Stillingfleet, Warthill and Wheldrake.
The Circuit continued as a circuit of the new single Methodist Connexion of Great Britain following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Circuit administration, comprising Circuit Committee meeting minute books, 1890-1902, 1926-1981; Local Preachers’ Meeting records, including meeting minute books, 1888-1955, 1966-1981; accounts for Horse Hire Fund, 1916-1978; cash book, 1958; correspondence to secretary, 1950s-1960s; pamphlets and correspondence from Local Preachers’ Department, 1961-1968; and the papers of the Local Preachers’ Meeting secretary, 1929-1979; Circuit handbooks and plans, 1894-1988; Circuit schedules, 1888-1945, 1975; membership schedules book, 1944-1976; and programme for final circuit meeting, 1981.
Financial records, including Circuit Steward’s account books, 1888-1907, 1925-1954, 1966-1981, and financial papers, 1957-1981; and Connexional funds book, 1974-1981.
Papers relating to Trust property, including Trust property schedules, 1888-1980; annual Trustees’ meeting minute book, 1904-1980; Circuit Manse Trustees’ minute book, 1950-1976, and account book, 1947-1965; register of Trust deeds, 1920, c.1971; deeds relating to 55 Union Terrace, 1872-1938; and copy conveyance of 1a St Oswald’s Road, Fulford, 1951.
Records of Circuit groups and organisations, comprising Circuit Missionary Committee records, including meeting minute book, 1888-1981, and file of circulars, correspondence and associated papers, 1955-1972; Circuit Sunday School records, including minute book, 1920-1942, schedules, 1910-1918, and papers and accounts relating to the Circuit Sunday School Council, 1928-1972; Circuit Temperance Committee (later the Christian Citizenship Committee) meeting minute book, 1906-1955; Circuit Women’s Work Committee meeting minutes, 1949-1973; Three York Circuits Missionary Committee papers, including meeting minutes, 1950-1966, and programme for missionary thanksgivings, 1962-1966; Overseas Missions Division records, including general fund circuit schemes, 1971-1979, and cash book, 1975-1981; student chaplaincy papers, 1972-1975.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material