- 1824-1957 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.13 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first Primitive Methodist society was formed in York in 1819. It was part of the Hull Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1822 when the York Circuit was created to serve the growing congregation in the city and 32 preaching places in the surrounding area.
The principal Primitive Methodist Chapel in the Circuit at this time was the Grape Lane Chapel, established in 1820. However in 1851 this was replaced by the new Ebenezer Chapel in Little Stonegate. Between 1822 and 1883 the York Circuit also included chapels at Layerthorpe and Victoria Bar in York, as well as a Mission Chapel at Nunnery Lane. Outside of York, the Circuit included Primitive Methodist chapels at Acomb, Claxton, High Catton, Dunnington, Flaxton, Sheriff Hutton, Stamford Bridge and Strensall.
In 1883 the York Circuit was divided into the York First and Second Circuits. The First (sometimes called the Ebenezer Circuit after its principal chapel) was renamed Monkgate Circuit in 1903. The Second was more commonly known as the Victoria Bar Circuit.
Name of creator
In 1883 the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion was divided into the York First and Second Circuits. The head chapel of the First Circuit was initially Ebenezer Chapel on Little Stonegate (giving the Circuit the secondary name of York, Ebenezer Circuit). However in 1903 Ebenezer Chapel was replaced by the new and larger Monkgate Chapel and the Circuit was henceforth renamed York, Monkgate Circuit.
Within York, the Circuit included Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel (until 1901), Monkgate Primitive Methodist Chapel (from 1903), Burton Stone Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel and Layerthorpe Primitive Methodist Chapel. Outside of York the Circuit included congregations at Claxton, Dunnington, Flaxton, High Catton, Haxby, Stamford Bridge, Sheriff Hutton, Skelton, Strensall and Thornton.
In 1934, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches, it joined with the United Methodist Free Church Circuit to form the Monkgate Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion.
Name of creator
In 1932 the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches united to form a single Methodist Connexion. Two years later the new Monkgate Circuit was formed by joining together the old Monkgate Circuit of the York, Primitive Methodist Connexion and the Monk Bar United Methodist Circuit of the York, United Methodist Free Church.
In 1954 the Circuit included Monkgate, Layerthorpe, James Street and Burton Stone Lane Methodist Chapels in York.
In 1957 the Monkgate Circuit amalgamated with the York, Clifton Circuit to form the new York, Clifton & Monkgate (also known as Trinity) Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Registers of Circuit baptisms, 1843-1869, 1871-1910.
Circuit administration, comprising Quarterly Meeting minute books, 1832-1853, 1864-1902, 1938-1957, and accounts, 1824-1894, 1906, 1913-1957; Circuit committee minutes, 1841-1854, 1864-1882, 1888-1898; and Circuit plans, 1858-1953.
Financial records, including accounts, 1832-1836; bank books, 1929-1944, 1947-1952; bank statements, 1949-1952; and financial papers, 1931-1957.
Property records, including papers relating to Trust property, 1901-1936; schedule of methodist trust property, 1934-1955; and annual chapel reports and schedules, 1838-1879, 1883-1920.
Circuit groups and organisations, comprising records of the Women’s Missionary Auxiliary (York Branch), including minute book for Monkgate and Victoria Bar Circuits, 1919-1935, and Monkgate Circuit alone, 1936-1945, and a brief account of meetings, 1934-1948.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material