fonds MRC/5 - Circuit records of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, York Victoria Bar Circuit

Identity area

Reference code

MRC/5

Title

Circuit records of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, York Victoria Bar Circuit

Date(s)

  • 1923-1936 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.01 cubic metres

1 box

Context area

Name of creator

(1883-1935)

Administrative history

The Victoria Bar Circuit, more formally known as the Second York Circuit of the York Primitive Methodist Connexion, was formed in 1883 when the single York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion was divided into two.

The new Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel (opened 1880) became head of the Circuit, which included Albany Street Chapel, the Apollo Street Chapel on Heslington Road and the Nunnery Lane Mission in York. Outside of York, the Circuit included congregations at Acomb, Elvington, Heslington, Kexby and Lilling.

The Victoria Bar Circuit was part of the Leeds and York District of the Primitive Methodist Connexion. In 1889 the District comprised 25 Circuits.

In 1935, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches, the Victoria Bar Circuit amalgamated with the York, Wesley Circuit of what had previously been the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion to form the new York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Church of Great Britain.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in the 1980s.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Circuit Missionary Society account book, 1923-1936.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

A minute book of the Women's Missionary Auxiliary (York Branch), 1936-1945, can be found in the records of the York (Monkgate) Circuit of the Methodist Church, which was also known as York First Circuit. The minute book covers both Monkgate and Victoria Bar Circuits and the archive itself also includes the records of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, the predecessor of the Victoria Bar Circuit.

For further information about the chapels in the Victoria Bar Circuit, see the archives of Victoria Bar Chapel, Albany Street Chapel and Nunnery Lane Mission within York, as well as the archive of the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Acomb. The Borthwick also holds the records of the York and Scarborough District of the Primitive Methodist Connexion.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 03.11.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area