- 1923-1936 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Victoria Bar Circuit, more formally known as the Second York Circuit of the York Primitive Methodist Connexion, was formed in 1883 when the single York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion was divided into two.
The new Victoria Bar Primitive Methodist Chapel (opened 1880) became head of the Circuit, which included Albany Street Chapel, the Apollo Street Chapel on Heslington Road and the Nunnery Lane Mission in York. Outside of York, the Circuit included congregations at Acomb, Elvington, Heslington, Kexby and Lilling.
The Victoria Bar Circuit was part of the Leeds and York District of the Primitive Methodist Connexion. In 1889 the District comprised 25 Circuits.
In 1935, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches, the Victoria Bar Circuit amalgamated with the York, Wesley Circuit of what had previously been the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion to form the new York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material