- 1873-1934 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
In 1856 the York Wesleyan Methodist Association united with the Wesleyan Reformers to become the United Methodist Free Church. The York Circuit was subsequently formed and remained the only Free Church Circuit in York until 1907. Its head chapel was Monk Bar Chapel and it also included the Free Church chapel in James Street, York.
In 1907 the Circuit was divided into two, the first still headed by Monk Bar Chapel and the second formed from Trinity New Connexion Chapel.
Name of creator
In 1907 the United Methodist Free Churches merged with the Methodist New Connexion and the Bible Christian Church to form the United Methodist Church. As a result, what had been the only United Methodist Free Church Circuit in York was divided into two. The first took its name from its head chapel of Monk Bar. The second was formed from Trinity New Connexion Chapel.
In 1911 the two Circuits were amalgamated to form Monk Bar Circuit. In 1914 Trinity Chapel replaced Monk Bar as the head chapel. The Circuit also included James Street Chapel, York.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodists in 1932, Monk Bar Circuit was joined to the new Monkgate Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material