fonds MRD/1 - District records of the Methodist Church, Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York District

Identity area

Reference code

MRD/1

Title

District records of the Methodist Church, Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York District

Date(s)

  • 1860-1988 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.04 cubic metres

4 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1791-1932)

Administrative history

In 1791 the Methodist Connexion in Britain was divided into Districts, which were in turn sub-divided by Circuit. The York District contained five Circuits: York, Hull, Pocklington, Bridlington and Scarborough.

By 1872 the District comprised of the following circuits: York, New Street; York, Wesley; Tadcaster; Pocklington; Malton; Easingwold; Helmsley; Scarborough; Sherburn; Filey; Pickering; Kirkbymoorside; Thirsk; Northallerton; Ripon and Selby. In 1988 York, Centenary Circuit was added to the District.

In 1932 the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches united to form a single Methodist Connexion and the York District became part of the new and enlarged York and Whitby District.

Name of creator

(1932-1957)

Administrative history

The York and Whitby District was formed in 1932 following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches into a single Methodist Connexion. As it result it initially included ex-circuits of all three churches. Its first Chairman was Reverend David Bradbury.

In 1932 it comprised the following former Wesleyan circuits: York, Clifton; York, Centenary; York, Wesley; Whitby; Tadcaster, Pocklington; Market Weighton; Malton; Easingwold; Thirsk; Masham; Selby; Helmsley; Scarborough; Sherburn; Pickering; Kirbymoorside; Northallerton; Ripon and Boroughbridge. It also comprised the former Primitive Methodist circuits of York, Monkgate; York, Victoria Bar; Whitby; Tadcaster; Pocklington; Malton; Easingwold; Helmsley, two circuits at Scarborough; Pickering; Thirsky; Ripon; Selby and Brompton, as well as the former United Methodist circuits at York, Scarborough and Ripon.

In 1934 York, Monkgate Circuit was added and by the 1940s the multiple Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist circuits had been consolidated into single circuits for everywhere except York, Scarborough, Pickering and Selby, which had two circuits each, and York four.

In 1957 the District was superseded by the new York and Hull District.

Name of creator

(1957-)

Administrative history

The York and Hull District was formed in 1957 as a result of a nationwide re-modelling of Methodist Districts, superseding the York and Whitby District. Its first Chairman was hymn-writer Reverend Fred Pratt Green.

At is creation the District comprised the following circuits: York, Clifton & Monkgate; York, Centenary; York, Wesley; Hull, Trinity; Hull, East; Hull, Mission; Hull, West; Hull, North; Snaith; Goole; Beverley; Driffield; Bridlington, Quay; Bridlington, St John's; Withernsea; Hornsea, Trinity; Hornsea, Market Place; Howden Caves; Filey, Trinity; Filey, Ebenezer; Market Weighton; Whitby; Tadcaster; Pocklington; Malton; Easingwold; Helmsley; Scarborough, Queen Street; Scarborough, St Sepulchre; Sherburn; Pickering; Kirkby Moorside; Thirsk; Ripon; Masham; Boroughbridge; Selby and Northallerton.

As of 2016 the District is divided into thirteen circuits. These are York; Beverley; Bridlington; Pockington & Market Weighton; Tadcaster; Thirsk & Northallerton; Ripon & Lower Dales; North Yorkshire Coast; South Holderness; Ryedale; Driffield-Hornsea; Goole & Selby; and Hull Centre & West.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute prior to 1988. Further additions were made to the archive in 1988, 1998 and 2003.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Annual trust property schedules, 1860-1880; Chapel Building Committee records, including copies of schedules of consent to erection of chapels in the York, Selby, Ripon, Bedale, Malton and Thirsk circuits, 19th century, and maps and plans of chapel sites, c.1959-1963; District Home Mission Committee records, including file of correspondence addressed to committee secretary concerning closure of chapels, 1963-1962, duplicate lists of cessation of services and sales of chapels in England, 1960-1964, and files concerning closures of individual chapels, 1958-c 1969; District Missionary Committee minutes books, 1872-1887, 1901-1928, and printed notice concerning celebrations for the 56th anniversary of the Wesleyan Missions in York, 1869; District Sectional Wesley Guild Council minute book, 1926-1934; Wesleyan Methodist Thanksgiving Fund account books recording subscriptions from York, Scarborough and Thirsk circuits, 1879; Animal Welfare Sub-Committee meeting minutes, 1961-1962; card giving details of district officers and committees, 1886-1887; programme for celebration service at York Minster for 250th anniversary of John Wesley’s conversion and photographs of anniversary banners, 1988; photograph of District Sunday School teachers’ conference, late 1940s; ‘Yorkshire Methodism in John Wesley’s Day’ a lecture given on behalf of the Wesleyan Methodist Mutual Improvement Association, 1884; York Methodist Monthly magazine, 1901; York Methodist Messenger magazine, 1956.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

The archive includes records of York District of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion and the York and Whitby and York and Hull Districts of the Methodist Connexion, sometimes in a continuous record series.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Records of the following circuits within the York District of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute: York, New Street; York, Wesley; and Easingwold, as well as the records of York, Centenary; York, Clifton; and York, Monkgate which were part of York and Whitby District. York, New Street and Clifton circuits form a single archive (MRC/1).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 09.12.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area