- 1927-2009 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.17 cubic metres
Name of creator
The York and Hull District was formed in 1957 as a result of a nationwide re-modelling of Methodist Districts, superseding the York and Whitby District. Its first Chairman was hymn-writer Reverend Fred Pratt Green.
At is creation the District comprised the following circuits: York, Clifton & Monkgate; York, Centenary; York, Wesley; Hull, Trinity; Hull, East; Hull, Mission; Hull, West; Hull, North; Snaith; Goole; Beverley; Driffield; Bridlington, Quay; Bridlington, St John's; Withernsea; Hornsea, Trinity; Hornsea, Market Place; Howden Caves; Filey, Trinity; Filey, Ebenezer; Market Weighton; Whitby; Tadcaster; Pocklington; Malton; Easingwold; Helmsley; Scarborough, Queen Street; Scarborough, St Sepulchre; Sherburn; Pickering; Kirkby Moorside; Thirsk; Ripon; Masham; Boroughbridge; Selby and Northallerton.
As of 2016 the District is divided into thirteen circuits. These are York; Beverley; Bridlington; Pockington & Market Weighton; Tadcaster; Thirsk & Northallerton; Ripon & Lower Dales; North Yorkshire Coast; South Holderness; Ryedale; Driffield-Hornsea; Goole & Selby; and Hull Centre & West.
Name of creator
The York and Whitby District was formed in 1932 following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches into a single Methodist Connexion. As it result it initially included ex-circuits of all three churches. Its first Chairman was Reverend David Bradbury.
In 1932 it comprised the following former Wesleyan circuits: York, Clifton; York, Centenary; York, Wesley; Whitby; Tadcaster, Pocklington; Market Weighton; Malton; Easingwold; Thirsk; Masham; Selby; Helmsley; Scarborough; Sherburn; Pickering; Kirbymoorside; Northallerton; Ripon and Boroughbridge. It also comprised the former Primitive Methodist circuits of York, Monkgate; York, Victoria Bar; Whitby; Tadcaster; Pocklington; Malton; Easingwold; Helmsley, two circuits at Scarborough; Pickering; Thirsky; Ripon; Selby and Brompton, as well as the former United Methodist circuits at York, Scarborough and Ripon.
In 1934 York, Monkgate Circuit was added and by the 1940s the multiple Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist circuits had been consolidated into single circuits for everywhere except York, Scarborough, Pickering and Selby, which had two circuits each, and York four.
In 1957 the District was superseded by the new York and Hull District.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Synod records, including meeting minutes, 1927-1984, programmes, 1934-1987, directories, 1931-1987, and schedules of local Methodist charities displayed at Spring Synods, 1970-1985; District Chapel Committee, District Synod and District Chapel Affairs Sub-Committee minute book, 1951-1972; Church Membership Committee records, inclduing minute book, 1957-1977, correspondence, 1963-1970, and District membership returns, 1982-1984; Women’s Committee records, including Executive Committee minute books, 1955-1985, council minute book, 1981-1983, Region 2 Consultation minutes and papers, 1983-1985, events programme, 1987, and service sheet for Women’s Committee celebration of Methodist bi-centenary, 1986; report of Student Work Committee, 1968; handbook for Hull Methodist conference, 1977.
Unlisted material, 1952-2009.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material