- 1927-1971 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
1 box and 1 roll
Name of creator
Deighton Grove House at Crockey Hill, south of York, was purchased with its estate by York County Hospital in 1945 for use as an annexe for post-operative and semi-convalescent adult and child cases. The house was set in extensive grounds of 70 acres with a large pond, tennis court and putting green, and a garden producing vegetables.
The buildings were altered and added to during 1946 and the hospital was opened for patients on 8 September 1947.. It was under the control of a Sister-in-Charge. There were 46-47 beds but because of the difficulty of obtaining furnishings and staff it initially opened with only 25.
The acquisition of the new premises was designed to extend available accommodation at the County Hospital which could not be provided at the main building due to war time building restrictions. However the hospital authorities were also taking advantage of the opportunity to provide healthy accommodation in the country for convalescing patients, and expressed the view in their 1947 annual report that 'future hospital services should be outside not in the centre of large towns.' It was also considered that Deighton Grove might be the modest beginning of a future hospital centre for York and large areas of the East and North Ridings.
Less than one year after the opening of Deighton Grove both it and its parent hospital passed into National Health Service (NHS) hands, under York A Group Hospital Management Committee. There were 807 discharges in 1950, 756 in 1951, 820 in 1953 and about 600 each year in the later 1950s and 1960s. The only substantial structural addition after becoming NHS was the addition of a sun lounge for patients in 1951.
In 1955 it was designated a hospital rather than an annexe because it increasingly received patients from hospitals other than its parent one. The children's ward closed in 1955 due to a lack of demand; it reopened as a female medical ward and the bed complement was reduced from 47 beds to 44.
Deighton Grove continued to fulfil the function of providing pre-convalescent and post-operative beds, both medical; and surgical, up to 1971. In that year its function changed to that of psychiatric hospital and it was used as an annexe of Naburn Hospital. Initially this change of use was to allow an upgrading of several wards at Naburn, but it continued to fulfil this role up to its closure at the end of October 1976.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion