- c 1963-1968 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
Rawcliffe Hall Hospital, situated at Rawcliffe, near Goole, and a converted private mansion, was opened in c.1921 by the West Riding County Council as a mental deficiency hospital for women patients.
In 1948 the hospital became part of the Goole, Howden and Selby Hospital Management Committee, and when the latter was dissolved in 1966 Rawcliffe Hall came under York ‘B’ Group. It had 165 beds in 1966 and was occupied by women and children. There were around 140 resident patients in the early to mid 1960s, rising to over 150 patients by the early 1970s. The catchment area was mostly the south east region of the West Riding.
Much effort was made by York ‘B’ Group to develop the grounds and gardens which were in a ‘poor state’ in 1966. There were also improvements to the hospital building, and a major upgrading scheme took place in 1967-9 which improved facilities and added new ones, and included an overhaul of heating and sanitary facilities and redecoration.
A new children’s unit was opened in 1966-7 with 23 beds. Children were admitted for observation and diagnosis and a proportion remained in residence. Other services at the hospital included a spastics unit and a hospital school with two full time teachers, and a department for disturbed and autistic children. A new occupational therapy building opened in 1969. In 1971 a new prefabricated unit of 30 beds, St Margaret’s Ward, was opened for middle aged women patients who were moved from the main building in order to ease overcrowding. The new ward offered an informal ‘hostel’ environment. However, it was noted in 1971 that the overcrowding in the main block was still such that no progress could be made towards the establishment of separate ward units for patients on the first and second floors.
There were about 150 resident patients in the early 1970s. Community links were extended in this period: a ‘League of Friends’ was formed for the hospital in 1969 and the hospital was ‘adopted’ by Goole Grammar School, and pupils helped in the hospital and organised events.
There were some further alterations in the early 1970s, including a new kitchen, new offices and stores accommodation, a new paddling pool and sandpit, and a new staff dining room. A domestic science department was opened in the old kitchen building.
In 1974, Rawcliffe Hall was retained within York Health District because its accommodation for women complemented the accommodation for men offered by Whixley Hospital.
However, in a further rationalisation of hospitals, Rawcliffe Hall, along with Bubwith Hostel, was transferred to Scunthorpe Health District, within Humberside Area Health Authority, on 1 April 1976.
The hospital closed in 1994.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion