- [1950s-1960s] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
1 box and 8 rolls
Name of creator
Ripon Hostel, in Bondgate Green Lane, Ripon (and thus often known as Bondgate Hostel) was opened in the early 1940s as a hostel for the Women’s Land Army. It was subsequently used as sheltered hostel accommodation for ‘high grade mentally defective’ men working in agriculture and was administered, along with Tadcaster and Bubwith Hostels, by the County Agricultural Executive Committee and the National Association for Mental Health. All three hostels became NHS under the control of York ‘B’ Group Hospital Management Committee in January 1951.
All the hostels were initially used by York ‘B’ Group to house suitable male patients from Whixley Hospital, but because it was difficult to fill the vacancies it was decided at the end of 1951 that Ripon Hostel should be used for either ‘lower grade’ men or else women able to go out to work. Early in 1952 the existing men at Ripon were transferred to Bubwith and Tadcaster Hostels and the vacant accommodation was used to accommodate women from Claypenny Hospital. However, it was subsequently found that few of these were suitable to go out to daily employment: in 1953 only five were employed in the town while the rest did housework at the hostel. In 1959 the number of working patients had risen slightly to eight out of 21, but of these some worked part time. In effect, therefore, the hostel became a long stay women’s annexe to Claypenny Hostel.
There were just over 20 women resident during the early 1950s and the bed complement was 23, a figure which remained unchanged through the 1960s. Activities were provided for patients, and local organisations such as the Women’s Institute and the Lions Club helped to devise events and social activities. Holidays for patients were provided, and ‘light occupational therapy’ was also available by the mid 1970s.
The hostel was built as two separate wooden buildings: one a sleeping dormitory and one a day room. In 1970 a covered way and a new entrance was built to link the two sections.
At NHS reorganisation in 1974 the hostel was transferred to Harrogate Health District, but from 1 April 1976 it became part of York Health District. Between 1974 and 1976 daily employment was found for most of the occupants. Ripon Hostel was administered as part of Claypenny Hospital in 1976 but after 1982 it was realigned with Whixley Hospital and Thornton Lodge and it was transferred, along with Whixley Hospital, from York Health Authority to Harrogate Health Authority in 1983. It closed in 1987.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion