Osbaldwick Methodist Chapel

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Osbaldwick Methodist Chapel

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Osbaldwick Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1871-1937

History

A Methodist Society was founded in Osbaldwick in 1813. Meetings were initially held in private houses and it was not until 1871 that a permanent chapel was built on a piece of land opposite the Moat Field, donated by Thomas Allis, a Quaker and Superintendent of The Retreat hospital, York.

The chapel was renovated in 1899 to include a new organ, and extended in 1918 to create additional space for a schoolroom. At its height, the chapel ran a popular Sunday School and youth choir.

However by the 1930s attendance had dwindled and in 1937 the remaining congregation were transferred to St George's Methodist Chapel on Millfield Lane, York. In 1938 the chapel was purchased by St Thomas Church of England Parochial Church Council for parish use. It was sold again in 1969 to Osbaldwick Parish Council for community use.

Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit), Osbaldwick was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion at its creation in 1888.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Allis, Thomas, 1810-1889, Superintendent of The Retreat, York (1810-1889)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit (1888-c 1932)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit controls Osbaldwick Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1888-1937

Description of relationship

Related entity

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Clifton Circuit (1867-[1932])

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Clifton Circuit controls Osbaldwick Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1871-1888

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 26.10.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

York Archaeological Trust, 'Metcalfe Lane, Osbaldwick, York. Report on an Archaeological Desk-Top Study' (York, 1999).

Osbaldwick History Group, 'Osbaldwick: A Suburban Village' (York, 1980).

Borthwick Institute, MRC/3/10/1

Borthwick Institute, MRC/1/7/5

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC