- 1715-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Holy Trinity, Appleton le Street was first mentioned in a charter of King Henry II (1154-1189) in which it was granted to St Alban’s Abbey, although the building dates from at least the eleventh century. In 1218 a papal charter confirmed the grant of both Appleton le Street and its dependent chapel of St Helen, Amotherby, to the abbey, and papal and royal licenses for the appropriation of the churches were issued in the fourteenth century. A vicarage was ordained there in 1358.
St Alban’s held the advowson until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when it reverted to the Crown and then passed into private hands in the eighteenth century.
The parish included the townships of Appleton le Street, Amotherby, Broughton, Hildenley and Swinton, and Easthorpe. Today the parish is known as Appleton le Street with Amotherby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material