- 1540-2016 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.47 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Richard, or St Ricarius, Aberford, was in the patronage of the Lords of Ravensthorpe until 1331 when it was appropriated to Oriel College, Oxford, and a vicarage ordained therein. The benefice was augmented in 1739 and 1764 through Queen Anne’s Bounty. The church was substantially rebuilt in 1861 by the architect Anthony Salvin.
Historically, the parish has included the market town of Aberford and the townships of Parlington and Sturton Grange. From 1908, it also included Lotherton, previously in the parish of Sherburn in Elmet.
Charities connected to the parish include that of Lady Elizabeth Hastings who left funds to teach 30 free scholars and provide bread and wine for Holy Communion.
Today Aberford is part of the Sherbern in Elmet group of parishes, which also includes Sherbern in Elmet, Saxton, Micklefield and Barkston Ash. The patronage is still held by Oriel College, Oxford.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
- Parish records
- Organisations » Associations » Women's associations
- Performing arts » Music » Musical groups
- Religion » Religious institutions » Sunday schools
- Educational institutions » Schools » Day schools
- Educational institutions » Schools » National schools
- Parish records » Dade parish registers
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Revised by S.Kent, September 2016.