- 1632-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.45 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Stephen, Acomb, was given by Archbishop Grey to the Treasurer of the Church of York in 1228. A vicarage was ordained in 1313 and augmented in 1414. The parish was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Treasurership until this was surrendered to the Crown in 1547, but remained a peculiar within the Dissolved Treasurership until the nineteenth century.
The vicarage was augmented in 1764 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and received additional funds in 1810 and 1815 from the parliamentary grant. St Stephen’s Church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1830-1831, at which time parts of an earlier Saxon church were uncovered.
Created from Acomb was the parish of York, St Edward the Confessor, Dringhouses in 1853, the parish of Holy Redeemer, Acomb, in 1938, and that of St James the Deacon, Acomb Moor, in 1968. In 1965 the church of St Aidan was built as a chapel of ease to Acomb, serving the new Chapelfields housing estate. Today Acomb is a two church parish with a single incumbent for both St Stephen and St Aidan.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material