- 1953-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of St James the Deacon, Acomb Moor, began life as a mission chapel and district within the parish of Acomb in 1952 and was created to meet the needs of new housing estates in South West York. It separated from Acomb in May 1968 and today the parish includes Woodthorpe, Acomb Park and Foxwood, and parts of Dringhouses West and Acomb.
St James’ Church was built by York architect George Pace and consecrated in 1971. Whilst of contemporary design, the church incorporates many features from older York churches. These include a twelfth century arch from the demolished church of St Maurice, a fifteenth century font from St Sampson’s, and a fourteenth century altar slab from York Minster.
A church hall was added in 2010.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material