- 1694-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
Name of creator
There was a church at Acaster Malbis from at least the twelfth century. The church and advowson were held by the Malbys family, from whom the township derives part of its name. In 1348 the church was appropriated to the Abbey of Newbo in Lincolnshire, and a vicarage ordained, by the Malbys'. The benefice was augmented in 1772 and 1788 through Queen Anne’s Bounty and received additional funds from a parliamentary grant in 1810.
The present parish church, which is dedicated to Holy Trinity, dates to the fourteenth century when it was rebuilt by the Fairfax family, who inherited the Malbys estates through marriage. The church was restored in 1886 by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler.
The parish historically included a part of Naburn township, but this separated from Acaster Malbis in the late nineteenth century.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material