- 1630-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
The existence of a church at Acklam was recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century. In the twelfth century the church was granted to the Priory of Thornton on Humber by the de Scurs family. It was subsequently purchased from the Priory by Archbishop Walter de Grey of York and was henceforth subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Chancellor of York with Prebend of Laughton en le Morthen. The parish church was dedicated to St John.
The parish includes Barthorpe and Leavening and was, for a short time in the sixteenth century, the site of the Chancellor of York’s country residence. In 1850 a church school was built in Leavening and licensed to be used as a Chapel of Ease to Acklam. In 1965 it was re-dedicated to the Venerable Bede and become a church in its own right, sharing a parish and Parochial Church Council with Acklam. St John’s Church was demolished in the 1970s and replaced by the current parish church of St John, which was first built as a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1794.
Today Acklam and Leavening are both independent churches within the united parish of West Buckrose.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material