- 1616-2007 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Allerthorpe, which includes Waplington, was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York from at least 1252, when a vicarage was ordained jointly at Thornton and Allerthorpe. Thornton subsequently became a vicarage and Allerthorpe a curacy. The curacy of Allerthorpe was usually held by the vicar of Thornton from the 17th century onwards and from the 18th century the incumbent also held the vicarage of Barmby Moor and Fangfoss.
The exact age of the parish church of St Botolph is uncertain. Allerthorpe was granted burial rights in 1360 but many Allerthorpe burials took place at Pocklington and Thornton in the 17th and 18th century. In 1828 the Archbishop of York consecrated a church yard at St Botolph and burials took place in the parish thereafter. St Botolph Church was completely rebuilt in 1876 by J. B. and W. Atkinson of York.
In 1844 the vicarage of Thornton and Allerthorpe passed to the ecclesiastical commissioners and thus to the Archbishop of York, who transferred it to the Crown in 1871.
Today Allerthorpe is part of the Barmby Moor Group of parishes, which includes Allerthorpe, Barmby Moor, Fangfoss, Thornton and Yapham.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material