fonds PR/AR - Parish records of Appleton Roebuck with Acaster Selby

Identity area

Reference code

PR/AR

Title

Parish records of Appleton Roebuck with Acaster Selby

Date(s)

  • 1850-1990 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.13 cubic metres

9 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1875-)

Administrative history

The parish of Acaster Selby was formed from that of Stillingfleet in 1850. Appleton Roebuck was formed in 1868 from the parish of Bolton Percy. In 1875 these two new parishes were joined to form what was initially called Acaster Selby with Appleton Roebuck.

The parish church is the church of All Saints at Appleton Roebuck, which was built in 1868 by architects J. B. and W. Atkinson of York. The church at Acaster Selby is dedicated to St John the Evangelist.

Between 1900 and 1905 the name was changed to Appleton Roebuck with Acaster Selby, but there seems to have been some confusion about the matter as the names were often used interchangeably.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1980 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1981, 1982, 1988, 1991 and 1995.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1864-1920, and a photocopy of the register for 1920-1990; register of marriages, 1853-1970; register of burials, 1850-1974 (these cover burials in Acaster Selby churchyard, 1850-1874, and burials in Appleton Roebuck churchyard, 1868-1958); register of banns, 1850-1953; register of services, 1901-1974; register of confirmations, 1911-1953; records concerning benefice income, including tithe correspondence, 1895-1939; correspondence and papers, 1900, 1923-1924, 1955, 1960-1961; charity records, including accounts, 1881, 1894, 1899, 1902, trustees' appointment, 1880, memorandum, 1877, and papers, 1876-1971; churchwardens’ records, including accounts, 1850-1919, church building papers, 1868, fabric papers, 1884, 1889-1904, 1913, 1920, 1925, 1935, 1955, and churchyard papers, 1936; records of incumbents, including dilapidations, 1900-1931, 1958, 1960-1961, 1972, mortgages, 1876, 1938, 1959, 1965, and statistical returns, 1899-1941; overseers’ records, including accounts, 1830-1839, and returns to Poor Law Commissioners, 1848-1860; records concerning parish rooms and societies, including appointment of trustee of lending library, 1923; school records, including managers' minutes of meetings, 1876-1903, accounts, 1904-1935, note of master's pension, 1868, and inquiry into endowments, 1897; surveyors’ records, including accounts, 1810-1834, and list of days service for gravel leading, 1817; Vestry/Parochial Church Council records, including minutes of meetings, 1876-1922, 1956-1974, correspondence regarding new parish, 1875-1877, and magazines, 1966-1970, 1973-1980.

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

The arrangement of the records reflects the complicated history of the parish, since some records (eg. the parish registers) started out life as belonging to one or other of the new parishes, but became joint records after 1875.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Selected records for Appleton Roebuck, including registers of christenings, 1866-1990, marriages, 1853-1970, burials, 1850-1974, and banns, 1850-1900, overseers' accounts, 1830-1864, and highway accounts, 1810-1834, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 629, 1751, 1589, 1765). A register of burials for Acaster Selby, 1885-1900, is also available on microfilm (Reference: MF 1751).

Related units of description

Parish records of Appleton Roebuck before 1850 can be found in the Parish Records of Bolton Percy.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 17.12.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area