- 1695-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
Name of creator
At the time of the Norman Conquest, Askham Bryan, also known as Great Askham, was part of a manor that also included nearby Askham Richard. No church was recorded there in Domesday, but in the twelfth century the manor and advowson of a church were passed by Roger de Mowbray to his friend, William de Tykhill. The present parish church of St Nicholas dates from this period. The manor eventually came into the possession of Bryan Fitzalan, Baron Fitzalan, in the thirteenth century, from whom it derives its name.
The church was appropriated to St Mary’s Abbey, York, at an early date. The parish is a perpetual curacy and it was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Manorial Court of Askham Bryan until the mid-nineteenth century.
An alteration of the boundaries occurred on the 20th Dec 1967.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material