- 1579-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator
The parish of Askham Richard, which has sometimes been known as ‘Little Askham’ or 'West Askham', adjoins the parish of Askham Bryan. The 'Richard' in the name is believed to refer to Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall (1209-1272).
The advowson of the parish church of St Mary was granted to William de Tykhill by Roger de Mowbray in the twelfth century. In 1329 a vicarage was ordained there and St Mary’s was appropriated to the Priory of Nun Monckton.
The benefice was augmented in 1768 and the church was largely rebuilt in the 1870s.
Today Askham Richard is part of the parish of Marston Moor and the united benefice of North Ainsty, both of which also include Long Marston, Bilbrough, Rufforth and Tockwith.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material