- 1610-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.14 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of All Saints, Aughton, dates to the twelfth century and was granted to the Priory of Ellerton by the del Hays family. In 1231 a vicarage was ordained there for the life of the then vicar and in 1402 the churches of Ellerton and Aughton, with Aughton’s chapelry of Thorganby, were confirmed to the Priory.
The benefice was augmented in 1722 through Queen Anne’s Bounty and the chancel of the church, together with the vicarage house, was rebuilt in the nineteenth century.
The parish historically included the townships of Laytham and East Cottingwith. A chapel of ease existed at Laytham from at least the thirteenth century and was still standing in 1611, although it appears to have fallen into disuse, or been demolished, by the 1650s.
Another chapelry, dedicated to St Mary, existed at East Cottingwith from at least the fourteenth century, although evidence suggests that this was administered by Ellerton Priory as part of the rectory of Ellerton. The 1651 Parliamentary Survey recommends that the chapelry be united to Aughton, indicating that it was then considered to be separate. However the surviving parish registers show that residents of East Cottingwith used Aughton, and not Ellerton, as their parish church. The chapel was rebuilt in the 1780s.
Today East Cottingwith is part of the parish of Sutton on Derwent with East Cottingwith. Aughton, now comprising Aughton, Laytham and nearby Ellerton, is part of the parish of Bubwith with Ellerton and Aughton. The parish is notable as the birthplace of Robert Aske, leader of the 1536 Pilgrimage of Grace.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material