- 1720-1993 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.22 cubic metres
11 boxes and 2 rolls
Name of creator
Barmby Moor, also known as Barmby on the Moor, was one of a number of chapels given by the King to the Archbishop of York and York Minster between 1100 and 1108. They were subsequently assigned to the Dean of York and remained subject to the Dean’s peculiar jurisdiction until the nineteenth century.
In 1252 a vicarage was ordained jointly at Barmby and Fangfoss. The two still had separate ministers in the 1520s but from 1568 the vicarage of Barmby and the curacy of Fangfoss were always held by the same incumbent. During the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries the incumbent also held the vicarage of Thornton with Allerthorpe and as a result a number of Barmby marriages for this period can be found in the Thornton registers.
The parish church is dedicated to St Catherine and is believed to date from at least 1252. The church was largely rebuilt in 1850-1852 by J. B. Atkinson of York, but still retains its fifteenth century tower and spire.
The benefice was augmented in 1777 and 1799 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1860 when nine acres of land were transferred to the vicarage by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Barmby Moor vicarage house, which had ceased to exist by 1716, was rebuilt in 1847 and enlarged in 1871. In 1971 a new vicarage house was built in the grounds of the old structure.
In 1960 parts of Barmby parish were exchanged with those of Pocklington.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material