- 1613-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.15 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of St Edith at Bishop Wilton was first recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century and probably owes its dedication to Ealdred, Archbishop of York from 1061 and previously Bishop of Wiltshire, the county of Edith’s birth and the site of Wilton Abbey where she later took Holy Orders.
The church was appropriated to the Prebendary of Wilton in 1241, and a vicarage ordained therein in 1311. The Prebendary was assigned to the Treasurer of York who held peculiar jurisdiction over Bishop Wilton, Alne and Tollerton and Acomb until the office was dissolved in 1547. The parish was subsequently subject to the jurisdiction of the Peculiar Court of Bishop Wilton within the dissolved Treasurership until 1836.
The parish historically included the townships of Bolton, Besthorpe, Golthorpe and Youlthorpe, as well as Bishop Wilton. It was augmented in 1756, 1787, 1795 and 1797 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1823 by parliamentary grant. St Edith’s Church was restored by John Loughborough Pearson in 1858-1859 at the expense of Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere Hall (whose family held the advowson for most of the nineteenth century).
In 1873 the advowson was transferred by the Sykes family to the Dean and Chapter of York.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material