- 1903-1984 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
St Giles’ Church, Bielby, was created as a chapel of ease to the parish of Hayton and was subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York until the nineteenth century.
The church dates from the twelfth century and was substantially rebuilt c.1792. It is notable for having a complete and unaltered set of early nineteenth century box pews.
In 1959 Bielby chapelry separated from Hayton to become part of the benefice of Seaton Ross with Everingham and Harswell. From 1980 this benefice also included Melbourne and Thornton. Today it forms part of the parish of Everingham and Bielby.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material