- 1571-2002 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
3 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
The church of St Helen at Bilton in Ainsty was erected in 1166, replacing an earlier Saxon structure. The patronage of the church was granted to the Prioress and Convent of Synningthwaite until 1293 when it became a peculiar of the newly constituted Prebendary of Bilton. A vicarage was ordained therein in 1295.
The parish historically included the villages of Bickerton and Tockwith. The vicarage was augmented in 1761 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1817 by parliamentary grant.
St Helen’s Church was restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1869-1871. By the 1930s the patronage of the church had passed to the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. However the parish was transferred to the Dean and Chapter of York in 1938 in exchange for the benefice of Burton Leonard.
In 1867 Tockwith separated from Bilton in Ainsty to form its own parish. Today Bilton in Ainsty parish is known as Bilton with Bickerton.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material