- 1695-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.09 cubic metres
Name of creator
The church of Bilbrough was first mentioned in 1286 when it was confirmed to Holy Trinity Priory, York, a cell of the abbey of Mormontre in Touraine which had been granted the tithes attached to the living by Ralph de Paganell in the late eleventh century.
At the Dissolution of the Monasteries the tithes were granted to Sir Leonard Beckwith before being purchased in 1556 by the Fairfax family of Steeton who henceforth held the tithes and patronage. In 1671 Lord Thomas Fairfax bequeathed the tithes in trust to the parish to pay a ‘preaching minister’ and in 1867 the present preaching minister was declared to be rector of the parish under the District Church Titles Act.
In 1873 the old church building, believed to be Norman in origin, was largely demolished and replaced with a new larger church in the Norman style, designed by architect George Fowler Jones and paid for by Thomas Fairfax Esq. However it retained its fourteenth century chantry chapel which contains the tomb of Lord Thomas Fairfax, Commander in Chief of the Parliamentary Army during the English Civil War. The church is dedicated to St James. A new vicarage house was built in 1960.
Today Bilbrough is part of the parish of Marston Moor and the united benefice of North Ainsty, both of which also include Askham Richard, Long Marston, Rufforth and Tockwith.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material