- 1558-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.11 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest reference to St Mary’s Church, Birdsall, was between 1130 and 1153 when it was appropriated to Kirkham Priory by the priory’s founder, Walter Espec. The benefice was augmented in 1771, 1786, 1827, 1832 and 1834 through Queen Anne’s Bounty.
From the early eighteenth century Birdsall House and estate were owned by the Willoughby family, the Lords Middleton, who replaced the church in 1824 after it fell into disrepair, and purchased the living from its previous patron, the Marquis of Hertford. A new chancel was later added to the church by architect Charles Hodgson Fowler. The ruins of the original St Mary’s still stand in the grounds of Birdsall House.
Today Birdsall is part of the parish of West Buckrose, a united parish comprising eight village churches.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material