fonds PR/BIRD - Parish records of Birdforth

Identity area

Reference code

PR/BIRD

Title

Parish records of Birdforth

Date(s)

  • 1616-1991 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.02 cubic metres

1 box

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 12th century-)

Administrative history

St Mary’s Church, Birdforth, also known as Birdforth Old Chapel, was founded as a chapel of ease within the parish of Coxwold. Parts of the church fabric date to the twelfth century, although the existing building largely dates to the sixteenth century and later. The church contains a carving of the coat of arms of Elizabeth I, dated 1585.

Birdforth was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty in 1739, 1775, 1787 and 1792, and subsequently became a separate benefice in the patronage of the Archbishop of York.

The church was declared redundant in 1975 and became the responsibility of the Redundant Churches Fund, now the Churches Conservation Trust, three years later.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1974 by the incumbent. Further additions were made to the archive in 1976, 1980, 1983 and 1992.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Includes register of christenings, 1616-1743, 1749-1977; register of marriages, 1616-1743, 1749-1808, 1814-1822, 1859-1947; register of burials, 1616-1743, 1749-1812, 1814-1991; register of Services, 1964; terriers, 1770-1817; tracing of tithe map of Birdforth, 1838; tracing of proposed site for housing at Birdforth, 1921.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received up to and including 1992.

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Registers of christenings, 1616-1977, marriages, 1616-1947, burials, 1616-1812, 1814-1991, and banns, 1825-1900, are also available on microfilm at the Borthwick Institute (References: MF 639, 881, 1761).

Related units of description

For related material held by the Borthwick Institute, see the parish records of Coxwold which include arbitrations on assessments for the township, 1533-1637, with 19th century opinion relating to the said agreements, and parish magazines, 1970-1975.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 17.12.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres